It's difficult describing my childhood in Japan. I want to say it was normal, but now I know my childhood is not normal to the majority.
Perhaps a list of things would help paint a picture;
(from birth to age 12)
- In a village, in Japan (population of roughly over 2000 people)
- My family of 4 being the only foreigners in the area
- Used English with my parents, used Japanese with my classmates, friends, friends' parents administrators, and in stores with the workers, basically everywhere else. By percentage, I would say used 20% English, and 80% Japanese.
- Kindergarten and Elementary in Japan, elementary population was roughly 60, and 7 just in my grade
- In the house, spoke English, watching and reading American shows and English books
- Approximately once every 2 years, flew to the States to visit, doing touristy things and visiting family members (in North Carolina)
Pretty normal right? lol